Monday, January 17, 2011

Bookkeeping

Another of the really good things about retirement is being able to volunteer at favorite nonprofit organizations.   In this, I'm following in the footsteps of my brother Vern, forced to retire by the University of Nebraska at 65, still hale and hearty.  He volunteered at several Lincoln nonprofits, including PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) and Nebraskans for Peace.

Of course one of my own favorites is the New York City Labor Chorus, in which I have sung alto for almost 20 years.  Upon my retirement, I volunteered to keep the books and have started to do so.  However, as we say in the Grants Managers Network, "if you've seen one foundation, you've seen one foundation." And I can now vouch for its collary: "if you've seen one nonprofit, you've seen one nonprofit."  I am learning the ins and outs of the Labor Chorus bookkeeping needs, and am not too proud to ask for instruction or help.  I hope to get the system shipshape in a couple more weeks (or months, if need be).  Although bookkeeping is not my favorite occupation, I'm very glad to be able to contribute what skills I have.  It's a good feeling, and a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment