Friday, January 14, 2011

Another Good Thing

Another good thing about retirement is being able to take water aerobics. I didn't realize it, but an hour of water aerobics is quite a workout. After the first time I went, I thought to myself "well, that wasn't much; perhaps I'd better go to the gym," then I sat down to eat lunch. When I got up from lunch, I could hardly stand up, I was so exhausted! Of course, as time has gone on, I have gotten better at it and stronger, but it's still quite a workout, if done correctly.  It feels good to my knees especially, which need a lot of kindness.  The NYC Chelsea Recreation Center offers these classes in sets of ten, with breaks in between the sets. During the breaks, they hold the time open for water aerobics class members, and this is truly beneficial, as one can design one's own workout.

There is a side benefit of these classes that I didn't expect: making friends with the other class members. On the face of it, doing water aerobics isn't conducive to holding conversations. However, some class members go up and down the pool together talking (though the instructor frowns). The real opportunity for conversation came after the end of the fall session, when a dinner was organized at a nearby restaurant.  About twelve or fourteen class members attended, some with spouses, and a very good time was had by all. Quite a few class members live nearby, two others in Penn South itself.

I have become friendly with one classmate who lives about three blocks from me, and yesterday she invited me over after water aerobics to tea. To tea! I'm not much of a tea drinker, but I couldn't resist such a charming invitation. I had met her husband, who actually made and served the tea, at the dinner. He has quite a good sense of humor, and both members of this couple are lively, interesting people, so I had a very good time. I'm looking forward to more "after water aerobics" get-togethers!

No comments:

Post a Comment